Saturday, November 15, 2008

One Big Fluke ... or a Miracle?

September 4, 1990, was the beginning of a new era for the Ellison Family of Long Island. It was mom Jean’s first day of a new teaching job, and daughter Brooke’s first day of seventh grade. But things didn’t unfold as planned. Brook was hit by a car that day, and a different story of a Mother’s dedication unfolded.

In the following years, Jean stood by her daughter through paraplegia, through her fight to stay in a regular Jr High, and even lived 4 years in a dorm room with Brooke so she could graduate from Harvard.

In Brooke’s 2000 Harvard Graduation speech she says, "Ten years ago, I was hit by a car. No one expected me to live. I have been paralyzed from the neck down and on a respirator since that time. Tomorrow, I will graduate from Harvard. Miracles happen. They have happened to me and they are happening to you. You need only to look at the people in your lives in order to see them." Brooke only needed to look at her Mother, a woman who had made one of God’s miracles incarnate in her life. SOURCE: SermonCentral staff. Citation: Brooke and Jean Ellison. Miracles Happen: One Mother, One Daughter, One Journey. New York: Hyperion, 2001

I have to admit when I read this story I choked back a few tears. Miracles come in so many shapes and sizes.

Have you ever wondered how in the world the ancient Israelites walked through a sea parted by God's very hand, yet later forgot He could deliver them? Manna from heaven, water from a rock, a pillar of fire ... the miracles just kept coming, yet God's people just kept disbelieving and doubting Him. Did they think it was a fluke of some sort that the waters receded for them then crashed over their enemies?

It's crucial as princess warriors that we keep our eyes open to the miracles that God is performing around us even today. For me, when my faith starts to wane, I find that reviewing the incredible things that God has done in my life helps me get back on track. That's why I keep a journal full of prayers and gratitude lists.

For some reason, we have a forgetting problem. Our ancestors did, and we do, too. When life gets hard, many of us find ourselves quickly loosing sight of all God has done in us, around us, through us, and for us.

He's at work, always. I didn't walk through the ocean on dry land, or walk on water like Peter, but I was able, with God's power to give up a life of drugs, promiscuity, and destruction. People who knew me "way back when" can't believe who I am today. (and I don't just mean the extra pounds I've added) When you practically lived with the motto: Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll tattooed on your forehead (not literally, of course) and now you're praising God with Jesus Christ tattooed on your heart, well, that's a miracle.

I want to challenge you, today, take a moment, and list each and every miracle that you've experienced in your own life and others that you've seen or know about. Keep your list somewhere where you can easily refer to it when you are facing times of faithlessness.

God bless you, sisters!




No comments: