Monday, May 26, 2008

Susan the Gentle: Narnia's Queen


Greetings Princess Warrior! I hope you are having a fantastic Memorial Day weekend. This Princess Warrior has been laying low, taking naps, reading books, and seeing movies. Oh, and I did work, too, from home. But not as much!

We watched several fun movies at home: National Treasure II and 27 Dresses, but the best movie, for me, these past few days was Narnia. I took my daughter and her friend to the theatre and we all were totally absorbed by this thrilling adventure. Not to mention, the girls thought the boys (King Peter, Prince Caspian, and King Edmund) were all cute. Personally, I liked the dashing Prince Caspian. Hey, who says us ladies over 40 can't think a movie star is cute?


Seriously, though, this movie and its characters gave wonderful examples of the challenges facing Christian royalty fighting as God's warriors. I'm going to focus on Susan. I believe she is an ideal example of a Princess Warrior for Christ. Let me explain.


Susan is focussed, a leader, yet still named "Susan the Gentle" for her gentle spirit. When it comes to battling enemy forces, this girl rocks. You've just gotta see her gracefully maneuvering in the midst of evil forces, launching arrow after arrow at her intended targets, hitting most of them dead on. She is a gentle, intelligent, and very feminine young woman, who can kick the devil's butt when need be. Granted, like several other characters, she should have sought out Aslan (Jesus) sooner, but once again, that delay makes her even more real, more human.


After all, how many times do we walk head on into a spiritual battle without back up, without direction, and by our own power? If you're like me and many of the women I know, your answer is probably ... too many times. Too often we react rather than respond with wisdom, prudence, and planning. Now granted, there at times we have to "think fast," but we are to never think so fast that we forget to call on the Ultimate Defender -- Jesus Christ.


During much of this movie, the characters battled with their own pride and unbelief, leading them to make many selfish decisions that were not in allignment with God's will. These decisions left many of their friends wounded, or worse.


I don't know about you, but, I, too, have made choices based on my own feelings and reactions rather than on the facts evidenced by God's truth. When I act without God's guidance, I end up with a knife in my back. (spiritually speaking)


So, in the end, Narnia reminded me to seek God first. For when I attempt to reign by my own power I am left short of God's best.


I encourage you to go see Narnia and watch for the many spiritual messages that abound in this fun film. God bless you all.





4 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! :) Blessings to you!

Lori Watson said...

I absolutely adored Prince Caspian as well (the movie, not the man,lol!) and love your blog. All the princess warrior pictures are awesome!

I have saved it to favs to check out again and will pop over to your other blog as well. Thanks for stopping by my Not-So-Superwoman blog! :-D

Lori Watson said...

I absolutely adored Prince Caspian as well (the movie, not the man,lol!) and love your blog. The Princess Warrior pictures are great!

I have saved it to favs to check out again and am about to pop over to check out your other blog. Thanks for stopping by my Not-So-Superwoman blog! :-D

PandaMom said...

What a treat to have you visit my blog! Your princess world is soooo FUN! I can't wait to come do more exploring over here and on your speaking website! And nope, not from Oregon....I'm a born and bred TEXAS girl! ; )