Monday, June 2, 2008

Sharing the Wealth ... our Treasure in Christ

Friendship, a key ingredient for us gals dedicated to serving our Lord and King as His Princess Warriors.

So often, women see one another as competitors fighting for position, power, prestige, and for men. Yes, men! Sadly, our media thrives on creating storylines featuring major rifts between women battling their so-called buddies for career advancments and relationships. And, as you know, in the secular world nothing is off limits. The your-husband-could-be-mine-if-I-try-hard-enough-to-seduce-him-motto is considered the "norm" in some circles.

Ladies, as Christian women, we should know better. Your job is your job and your husband is your husband. Friends don't take away from each other, they give. It is up to us to set a godly example of what a true friend is and "looks like." Consider the following comment:

A newspaper held a competition to find out how people would describe friendship. The winning answer was, “A friend is someone who’s walking in when everyone else is walking out.” You and I have a friend that will do that, a friend who will stick closer than a brother. Jesus said, “Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20) And when he said it he was only living up to his name, “Immanuel”--which means, "God with us." (Matthew 1:23)

Indeed, Jesus is the best friend of all. The Bible is overflowing with examples of healthy, Spirit-driven friendships. The stories of David and Jonathon, Ruth and Naomi, and Esther and Mordecai are great places to start.

As Princess Warriors for Christ, we were not created to be isolated and alone. Throughout Scripture, it is clear that we serve a God of relationship. He talks about where two or more are gathered, in His name, He is there. Yet, in another example, the Bible explains that a cord of two is not easily broken and a three-fold cord is even better. (Very loose translations) In other words, together is a good thing ... a God thing.

Certainly, we need "alone time" with God to pray, meditate, and study His Word, but we were not created to streak into battle alone. Encouraging, supporting, and loving our sisters in Christ is crucial to our well-being, and something that God desires for us.

I'll agree that many of us (me included) have been deeply hurt and betrayed by women who were supposedly our friends. However, the Bible is clear about forgiveness and love. Jesus more than suggests that we love others; He commands it. So, for me that implies I better make an effort to reach out and love others.

I'd like to challenge you to start finding new, unique ways to encourage others. Lately, when time allows, I've been perusing the amazing Christian blogs on this site, composed by my brothers and sisters in Christ. I take time to read an entry or two, pray for them, and then send a comment/note to let them know I'm thinking of them. I love receiving uplifting comments. In fact, every week, I get a text message on my cell phone wishing me a "blessed week." I'm not sure who is sending it, but I love it. I've come to even expect the weekly message.

Obviously, deep, intimate friendships take more time and effort, but reaching out in simple ways is a great way to start bringing hope to others while living in a busy world. So, go on ... send a card, comment, email, or make a phone call, drop by a meal by to someone hurting. Do something! This world can be a difficult place to live and we can do wonders by supporting and loving others. Don't wait for someone else to give; just do it!

Some Friendship Quotes:


"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." Ralph Waldo Emmerson

"One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention." Clifton Fadiman

"A wise man remembers his friends at all times; a fool, only when he has need of them." Turkish Proverb

"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable." David Tyson Gentry

1 comment:

Sista Cala said...

The more I read of your blog the better I like it. I'm adding you to my bloglines reader and to my blogroll.