Friday, September 30, 2011

Got a gift? Great! Give it away for the glory of God ...




Each one should use whatever gift he (she) has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
1 Peter 4:10

As a child, I looked forward to my birthday for weeks preceding the actual big day. I would spend countless hours imagining what type of gift I might receive from my parents. They always knew exactly what gift would best suit me. I didn't always get everything I wanted, but  inevitably, what I did receive was something I liked. I don't ever recall tearing through the wrapping paper and opening the box only to exclaim: "How could you! Give me another gift!" I knew that I could trust that whatever my parents had for me was a good gift.

Granted, we don't always receive the presents we dream about. I've heard enough re-gifting stories to know that some things belong better with another person. However, when it comes to the gift or gifts God gives, we can trust He got it right the first time. He knows us better than any parent, spouse, child, or best friend. We'd be wise to prayerfully accept whatever special treasure He's bequeathed us.

Too often, like immature children, we compare our gifts, wishing we had been give the gift of hospitality instead of the gift of prophecy, or this gift rather than that one. Instead of analyzing our gifts, we'd be better off learning how to best use them to serve others. After all, whatever God has given us is meant to be shared, not hidden away.

Children are encouraged to share their gifts. As a parent, I battled against my children's desires to keep their gifts all to themselves. I understood that in the end sharing would have a better result. The same is true with the spiritual gifts God so generously and perfectly provides us. Let us make the absolute best of whatever we've been given and start spreading God's grace-filled gifts around.

Princess Warrior action item: How can I use my gift/s to serve someone in a practical way today?

Princess Prayer: Lord, thank You for the gifts You have given me. May I use them in a way that best serves You and others.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL PRINCESS WARRIORS: A special journal/prayer journal to record your daily thoughts and prayers, and to answer questions like the one listed above titled "action item." You'll note that today's main picture showcases a journal and pen. Your journal can be as fancy/frilly or as plain/practical as you'd like. It's your special book to record your deepest dreams, desires, and even your darkest days. Pour your heart out to God. He will love you and forgive you while providing the strength and courage needed to resist the evil one  

If you enjoy devotional books as part of your devotion times, consider this wonderful book: Better Together. I am thrilled to share that I am one of the books contributing authors. This latest post comes from one of the devotional messages I penned.

No comments: