Thursday, August 13, 2009

Following the Right Leader


So, which direction are you riding today? What leader are you following? Maybe those questions sound silly, but think again. I know I've had to.

Lately, it seems I find myself galloping ahead of God like an untamed horse. I get way ahead of God then look back to see if He has approved my travel plans. Unfortunately, I often find that I've taken the wrong route. It's so easy to to do what we want without first consulting our Leader -- the Right Leader -- Jesus Christ. Then, down the road, we wish we'd slowed down enough to pray, seek wise council, and examine what His Word tells us.
Thankfully, my decisions haven't been humongous, life-changing ones, but, still. I sometimes forget to invite God to be the Leader in every area of my life. Do you know what I mean? -- God, I'll handle this one, okay? Thank you very much. Ouch!

For example, I find myself making quick decisions for my kids without first consulting my Commander and Chief. It's kind of like an army marching ahead without their marching orders. Without guidance they might end up fighting the wrong war, or stumbling into enemy territory. It's imperative that they follow the leadership of their superiors, those who have the intelligence and technology needed to foresee the future more clearly. Thankfully, God is far more accurate in assessing the future than the best military commander. After all, He is the Author of the future (and the past and present too). There is no better leader to be found.

So, why do we decide what to buy, where to go, and how to spend our time without first consulting with our wise and loving leader? Because we are used to running the show, making quick decisions, and ultimately, doing what we want.


I don't know about you, but I want to invite God into every part of my life. I want to faithfully follow in His footsteps. My desire is for Him to be on my mind all the time. Sadly, I often find my mind cluttered and crammed with thoughts that aren't in alignment with God's. Worry has been a unfaithful companion of mine these past few months as I've fretted over finances, my children's life challenges, work, life in general. I find myself seeking to solve all my problems by my own limited power with my own lacking human resources.

I bet you already know what happens. I end up following the wrong leader -- me, the world, other people, a fad, my desires, and if I'm not careful, even the devil, who loves to get our sinful nature in the driver's seat.

Thankfully, the Holy Spirit is continually reminding us to give it all to the One who can handle everything. Why then would we want to take on so much gunk? We have a Savior who offers to lighten our load and guide our steps. It makes sense to let Him lead. Amen!

So what do you have planned for tomorrow, an hour from now? Is God in on your plans? Have you consulted Him? If not, call out to Him right now and ask that He lead the way. You'll be amazed how much better the journey is. God bless you princess warriors.

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, You are the best of the best Leaders. You are our Creator and know each of us intimately. Because You know everything about us, You understand exactly what steps we should take and what roads we should travel. Please, help us keep our eyes focussed on You, for You have our best interests in mind and can clearly see our futures. Your Word says that You have plans to prosper us and give us a hope and a future. May each of us trust in Your goodness and grace and turn to you throughout our days, allowing you to direct our next steps. Help us make decisions that are glorifying to You and that benefit others. Give us wisdom to make choices that honor You and edify those around us. What a relief it is to turn our will over to Your capable hands. In Jesus' Name, amen
.

No comments: