Sunday, March 8, 2009

Resting in the Word

Friends, it's been far too long since I've posted. My life took on a life of its own, if you know what I mean. Almost overnight, my workload at work, in ministry, and home quadrupled. I have some very exciting writing projects in the works and speaking engagements coming up as well.

And, I've broken one of my own rules. Spending an hour (at minimum) with God daily; in His Word, in prayer, and in worship. As I sit here, I realize just how thirsty I am for His Word, for more of Him.

Picture, if you will, those times during the summer months, when we can easily find ourselves in situations that increase our need for cool, refreshing water. Too much heat, hard exercise, or outdoor activities, tend to make us thirsty. In daily life,our busy schedules, family requirements, work projects, and ministry activities increase our need for more of God's supernatural power and thirst-quenching Word. But, amazingly, we often drink less and end up parched for God's refreshment.

If you're in a thirsty-place like I am, stop now and drink deeply. We cannot possibly fulfill our royal duties without God's strength. Sure, we may be able to function for short sprints on our own limited power, but those longer races require more and more of Jesus. Not to mention, "functioning" isn't the same as excelling and overcoming, is it?

I loved the above picture featuring a princess leaning on a sword. It perfectly demonstrates how we, as daughthers of the King, must lean on the Sword of the Spirit -- God's Word -- in order to successfully fulfill our destinies.

Won't you join me, this Monday, as I recommit to time with my Lord, basking in His presence, feasting on His truth, and experiencing His love and grace? He's only a prayer away.

No comments: